If your iPhone’s built-in alarm isn’t cutting it for you, or you’re trying to go device-free in your bedroom, it’s time to try waking up to an actual alarm clock. It can be hard to figure out what difference between alarm clocks and which is right for you — whether you want a basic alarm clock radio, a stylish high-tech device for your smart home, or a shaking alarm clock that can even wake up the heaviest sleepers, we’ve rounded up the best alarm clocks for your needs.
While the Good Housekeeping Institute hasn’t performed a category-wide test on alarm clocks this year, most of these picks (or similar models) have been road-tested by our experts and others have been carefully vetted from rave reviews. When shopping, our pros recommend paying attention to the following features:
- Large screen display: Numbers should be easily legible against a well-lit screen, even from a distance.
- Radio settings: Some digital alarm clocks come with AM/FM radio capabilities. Some alarm clock radios even have the option to connect to Bluetooth to play music from your phone.
- Sound variety and vibration settings: Newer alarm clocks will feature a library of sounds for you to wake up to, and some clocks will shake the bed in hopes of waking the heaviest sleepers.
- Power functions: Standard alarm clocks stationed in the home will usually operate best on an included cable, but some clocks also offer a battery backup function, which is convenient for power outages and travel.
Some of these alarm clocks are super loud, some are customizable, and others can even help you fall asleep, too. Say goodbye to missed wake up calls with these best alarm clocks to buy in 2020:
If you’ve tried the loudest alarms but still seem to oversleep, a bed shaker is the best alarm clock for heavy sleepers. Plug the clock into an outlet, put the alarm under your mattress or pillow, and the bed shaker might finally wake you up. You can even shut off the sound and have your only alarm be the vibrations — perfect for anyone worried about waking up their roommates.
- Vibrates for extra effect
- Can be intense for light sleepers
If you’re looking for a simple, no-frills alarm to wake you up, this RCA digital alarm clock is it. You won’t get confused by any fancy functions because it’s hard to mess up — there’s one alarm option, a snooze button (which doubles as a nightlight!), and a backup battery to ensure you wake up in the case of power failure.
- Simple, intuitive design
- Limited features
Advertisement – Continue Reading Below
This iHome alarm clock can wake you up with a bunch of different sounds, whether you choose to play music from your phone via Bluetooth, FM radio, or a variety of alarm tones. You can use it as a speaker to stream music (it also has an AUX jack) while charging your Apple Watch and cell phone. Just remember that the Apple Watch holder isn’t detachable if you don’t own one.
- Can also charge your Apple watch
- Doubles as a speaker
- Apple watch dock is useless if you don’t have one